2007 Unused Yamaha TTR 230
by Hershey Squirt
My local dealer has a 2007 Yamaha ttr230. I can get a good deal on it, but am hesitant to buy a bike that has been sitting around for four years. Are there any suggestions/experience with these types of bike purchases?
- In my opinion there's absolutely nothing wrong with an unused bike that has been sitting on the showroom floor for a long period of time. I know a few people who have taken advantage of unsold stock. My current YZ 250 had been sitting on the showroom floor for 2 years before purchase. If you can get a good deal for it (which you should) then go for it.
You want to make sure you take care of a few simple things before riding it though..
1) Change the oil and radiator fluid.
2) Change the fork oil and seals - you could get away without doing it but it will perform better with fresh oil.
3) Grease the axles, swingarm bolt and steering head bearings.
4) Lube the chain and sprockets.
It should ride like a brand new bike once you've given her a bit of TLC - at a fraction of the cost of a newby! The only thing that won't swing in your favor is the resale price as it will already be considered an 'old' bike. So if you plan on holding onto it for a few years I wouldn't worry about it.