4 Strokes Are Far From Superior
2 strokes have the following advantages over 4 strokes...
- More power (Obviously, that's why 2 strokes specialize in a thing called powerband)
- Starts easier (I can kick my cr125 into life by the 2nd attempt, but a little 125 4 stroke I leave with my leg muscles 2 inches thicker)
- Cheaper than 4 strokes (A 125 2 banger can keep up with a 250 4 stroke. And most 125's cost about half as much)
- Easier to repair (With no valves and other components there's less to go wrong)
- Cheaper to repair (2 stroke engine components still go for less than the power equivalent 4 stroke parts)
- Lighter (Because 2 stroke 125's can keep up with 4 stroke 250's, and having an engine half the size and with less components, they can be a good 10-15 kilos lighter. Even 250 2 strokes can be 5 or so kilos lighter than 250 4 strokes)4 strokes have the following advantages over 2 strokes...
- More bottom end power (This is essentially the only area where 2 strokes fall to a 4 stroke)
- Less pollution (Yes I know, but really, it had to make the list. Anyways, who really cares about pollution when your flying across the track with the engine screaming)
- More reliable (4 strokes are more reliable than 2 strokes. Well it depends how you look at it. Because a 2 stroke piston can spin up to twice as fast as a 4 stroke piston, you need to replace the piston twice as much)
- More controllable power (Many people do like the power you can predict, rather than it just kicking in and almost throwing you off)
When you balance up the two, why are the 2 strokes being outlawed? 2 strokes must live on.