30th October 2010 - Issue #022
Meet my boy "Blue". It's been a long time coming but I finally got my new bike, a good ol, traditional YZ 250 two-banger. It's a dream to ride with crisp power delivery, smooth but firm suspension and it's super light for flicking over jumps.
My brother is a hardcore four stroke fan and currently rides an 09 YZF 450. He's given me shit about wanting a smoker for as long as I've told him I'm getting another one.. until recently. I took it up North to ride with him in a place called Pouto where the farms are plenty and the sand dunes never-ending.
After a sweet morning session playing in the soft stuff, he asked if he could have a crack on it in the afternoon. "No worries bro.." When he pulled up next to me he was smiling ear to ear. "F@&$" was his response.
"What?" I asked.
He demanded to ride it the next day and couldn't get enough of it's light weight and snappy power, launching over dunes and crests wherever he could find them. Which included a 25 - 30 meter gap jump which he nailed himself on! His final words that weekend were "I might get a two stroke as my next bike".
Check out some photos from that weekend.. Pouto Dunes
And here's a few pics taken on my second ride out on Blue at a local beach.. North Muriwai
If you like this e-zine, please do a friend and me a big favor and "pay it forward." If a friend DID forward this to you and if you like what you read, please subscribe by visiting... Monthly Dirt
IN THIS ISSUE:
- Updated pages and new pages.
- MX news highlights.
- Vid of the month.
I encourage you to have your say on any of the pages that have a submitting form at the bottom of them. It's easy to do and it helps make this site more interesting and dynamic for everyone. If you want it published as a page you have to make sure your story has a bit of guts to it though, two sentences won't cut it sorry.
- New KTM range of dirt bikes are up.. and looking very yummy indeed! 2011 KTM
- Kawasaki motocrossers have been updated. 2011 Kawasaki
- Honda is also up with their latest range. 2011 Honda
- Suzuki sneak in as well. 2011 Suzuki
- Yamaha have some superb new bikes for you to drool over. 2011 Yamaha
- Husaberg have released their first ever two stroke bikes. 2011 Husaberg
- Stacks more tracks and trails have been added to the USA directory. It's gettin pretty big now fellow riders! If you know of a good place to ride that isn't on there then please do everyone a favor and submit it on the form provided on each of the countries directory page. Where To Ride.
And for the moment you've been waiting for.. Vid Of The Month.
This ones a bit shorter in length than normal but it makes up for it in emotional connection and visual quality! Poor guy, but most riders have had similar experiences.. Kingman Ranch Crash.
If you enjoyed that make sure you check out the other new video I embedded on the Dirt Bike Crash Videos page directly underneath the Kingman Ranch Crash - KTM disintegration!
News Highlights Around The World
- Josh Strang wraps up the 2010 Can-Am GNCC Series Title.
- David Knight dominates RHL Weston Beach Race.
- Check out the reports showing record amounts of fans and viewers of motocross as a sport.
- An interesting read on MX legend Bob Hannah.
You can keep up to date with all the Latest MX & Enduro news from around the world right here..
I hope you enjoyed this months Monthly Dirt and you managed to get on your bike a few times. It's been a great month of riding for me and I'm looking forward to hitting up a couple of MX tracks down South this month. I'm also pretty excited about watching Chad Reed and Ben Townley battle it out on an AMA styled supercross track right here in my hometown of Auckland on Nov 13th for the Super X series. Should be great fun!
Remember if you have any pics of you and your mates, send 'em in to me on my Dirt Bike Photos Page.
Get bike-fit fast! And become a better all-round rider by using The Dirt Bike Garage Manual. A "how to" book and must-have for developing riders.
Subscribe to the popular Monthly Dirt ezine below and receive a trial Version of The Garage Manual, a free Screensaver and the best 'how to whip' and 'how to wheelie' video links!